Curridge Playground was established as far back as 1954. Later, the Curridge Playground charity was set up, the objective of which was, and remains, “in the interests of social welfare, to improve the conditions of life for the inhabitants of the area of benefit without distinction of political, religious or other opinions by the provision and maintenance of a recreation ground.”
All Curridge residents and pupils of the school are welcome to use the land for recreational purposes e.g. playing ball games (there is a football goal) and picnics.
The legal title of the piece of land between Curridge School and the road is held by Chieveley Parish Council. The responsibility for control and management of the land rests with Trustees.
Current Curridge Playground Trustees (as of November 2015):
Mr Ray ffrench - Chairman 2015-16
Mr Andy Hanrahan - Clerk
Mr Rob Crispin - Ex-Officio Trustee (Chair of Chieveley Parish Council)
Mr Chris Cholmeley
Mr James Pryor
As of November 2015, the trustees are actively seeking funding to implement the first stage of a development plan intended to broaden the usability of the playground, and provide a sustainable plan for its maintenance in the future.
A history of the Curridge Playground is available from the Curridge Residents' Association Secretary